With St Patrick's Day just around the corner I thought I would create some themed activities to encourage this. I have started with a simple number line. I added a numeral to each space and also Shamrocks in the same pattern as we see on dice.
This reinforces children's understanding of
- Cardinality - That this represents how many of something there is.
- Subitising - Instantly recognising the quantity without having to count.
By placing an item on each space, the children can count the items. I added 5 of each item for the purpose of this activity. The children can see that although each group of items looks different, there is in fact the same number of each.
- Conservation of number - Knowing that the quantity is the same however the items are arranged and grouped.
- Place different items on the number line and add them together. Use the counting on method so that children can see that they do not need to start at 1 each time.
- Use 2 different items on the number line to look at number bonds to 5.
Today's play, meets the following EYFS Prime and specific areas: