Thursday, 26 August 2010

A DAY IN HENLEY ON THAMES!

Last weekend was the Rewind music festival in Henley. My sister asked me to drive her and her friend there. So after dropping them off, the boys and I went to have a wonder around Henley town center. I haven't been there in over 9 years so was nice to go somewhere different!

WARNING- poor picture quality as I have a pants camera on my mobile!

The boys were so excited to see the boats and ducks as we drove in so I promised them we could buy some bread and go back and feed the ducks!! I also wanted to show them the lovely bear shop. it sells lovely "expensive" bears. Brendan's Stieff bear came from there when he was born!



 After buying the bread we took a walk back towards the river. We got a bit side tracked by a toy shop and then had to suffer an Autistic meltdown when it came to leaving. Getting harder to physically remove him and keep him safe now he is older and taller. He now has bite marks up his arms where he took the frustration out on himself. Thankfully we don't have as many of these as we used to and as soon as he saw the Ducks.... all was forgotten. The Bear shop was a joy! Kenzie wanted to kiss all of the bears and hug them! very cute to watch.

We soon made it to the river and looked at the boats. Lots of different types and sizes! We even found one with my name on.... although it was very small lol!


The ducks were very friendly and the geese even more so. They took the bread from your hands. I believe they are Canadian geese. Brendan thinks he can speak Goose! Magpie Goose in particular since we were at the local wildlife park a few weeks ago. He had many conversations with these geese. probably telling them how mean Mummy was at the toy shop lol!!


























 Very soon the boys realised they could share the ducks bread and so it became some for them and some for the boys!




















 

 














 Even after the bread the boys said they wanted dinner out. We wondered along the river and in to town to find somewhere nice to eat. Henley has some lovely old buildings and a great church. The boys spent a lot of time touching the church as it had a lot of flint on it. Both of the boys had been making Flint knives with my sister and brother at my Nans wake last week and have started to recognise it where ever we go. They enjoyed the checker board pattern and the feel of the flint sticking out! Brendan got particularly excited when he saw that the front was mainly Flint!





































I really enjoyed the Tudor buildings. they are so pretty and full of history! The beams and painted fronts are amazing. I love the fact that I live in a country with such a long history and that much of it can still be seen today and is still in use.


 Eventually the boys chose a hotel bar/restaurant to dine in. Yummy!!!! Stake for dinner! The boys loved using the menus and choosing what they wanted to eat! Kenzie had a huge plate full. This picture was taken as he flicked Vinegar in his eye, ooops!!


On the way back the boys swung on railings and said one last goodbye to the ducks. Oh and held a phone conversation with |Auntie Jacky who was walking along the other side of the river on her way in to town for dinner!
















I remember doing this as a child and hoping on the doorsteps as i went along! except I often triped over peoples empty milk bottles on the door step!



I can see both the boys asking to go back and feed these ducks again. although they did get very cross with a mean Goose  who grabed a little duck in his beak and pushed him out the way of the bread. Brendan gave him a stern talking to in Goose!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts and see who is reading my little blog. Pop up a post and I will always swing by and visit your blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails