Tuesday, 12 July 2011

SEASIDE THEME WEEK 1

For the next couple of months I thought it would be nice to focus on the Beach and Oceans! Some of the little ones I look after have been recently or are going to the seaside in the holidays, so it seemed a perfect time to look at all the fun we can have while there and the creatures that live in the Sea!

We are having a few days away in Southsea again this year and will be popping down on Friday! This theme is really getting me in the holiday mood!

Here are a few of the fun activities we have planned for this week!

Ocean in a bottle! 
Add some water to a clean plastic bottle (About half filled) and mix in a food colour of your choice!
Top up with cooking oil and then glue gun the lid in place for extra security!
Give it a wiggle and watch the waves move back and forth!
Baby R loved this and I was very pleased I had glue gunned on the lid as she was keen to have a good drink of it!

We had a Sea Creature Shadow match game downloaded out from this site which the older children enjoyed and this prompted them to want to know more about each creature, so we sat and watched some of David Attenborough's "Planet Earth" DVD which has an Ocean program in the set. I do love Nature programs and it was lovely to be able to share this with the little ones!
E had a lovely time with this and wanted to know all the names of the creatures and what they eat!

We also looked at sequencing as this was an area I was not sure many of the children had mastered yet. We looked at lining these beach pictures up in order of size, starting with the biggest and working left to right to help develop those pre-reading skills.

We also looked at pattern matching. E got very excited about this and showed how proud of himself he was when he completed the set! Waving his arms in the air and shouting " I did it Pip!!!"


We have also been learning about the different types of shells we find. Univalves and Bivalves and how we can distinguish between the two, to group them.
 I found these great Montessori 3 part cards and printed them out and laminated them. cut them up and placed them with a basket of shells! We are learning a lot about these different shells and I am hoping my boys will enjoy these cards as well and maybe take them to the beach with us when we go away! I am sure we are going to hunt for lots of new shells to add to our collection!

Today we decided to set up the water tray in the Kitchen and add some Shells and sea creatures to it!
Baby R has tried to climb in it already and needed several nappy changes after using the shells as cups and drinking most of the water!

Would love to hear your Beach and Seaside ideas if you fancy leaving me a comment and sharing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts and see who is reading my little blog. Pop up a post and I will always swing by and visit your blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails