Wednesday, 26 October 2011

TRING NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM

Today myself and another childminding friend took our children to somewhere that I have not been to since I was a child. Tring natural history museum!
I was looking through the Internet a couple of weeks ago for fun things to do over half term and noticed they were doing Apple pressing today! I know my boys love this and thought the others would.... so off we went. Judy, myself and 11 small people between us!

First we chopped the apples!


Crushed the apples in a very mean looking chopper! Everyone had lots of fun taking it in turns to make it work!


Then we poured it all in to a press!


Folded the lining bag down!


Replaced the lid!


Then came the turning of the press handle! Brendan said he would wait till the end and turn it when it was getting harder to do, as he said he was one of the older ones. That was very thoughtful I thought!


Look at all that juice!!!  A much quicker process than the juicing we did at home with a blender and piece of cloth the other week!


Yummy! The tasting! worth all the hard work!



Brendan and Kenzie wanted to use the apple corer, peeler and slicer! Something I have on my "To get" list!


Kenzies apple was a bit small. So it got cored and sliced.... just not peeled lol!


Then we went in to see all the animals. I was a bit worried about how I was going to explain that they were dead and stuffed.... but only one child asked and was fine with the truth. Why do I worry about these things?


Not really my favourite display but the boys seemed to like it!


Kenzie grabbed some paper and a pencil and started to draw lots of the animals that he liked! It was lovely to watch and I could see he was really looking at their shapes and details!


Brendan LOVED this place! He found birds that sparked his memory and he started to tell me all about the displays they did to attract female birds! The noises that some birds can copy and where some of them lived!
His Aspi sponge brain really is something of a marvel!



This is some where I can see us visiting rather a lot. Today was VERY busy due to the school holidays but we are going to try it at the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts and see who is reading my little blog. Pop up a post and I will always swing by and visit your blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails