Monday, 21 May 2012

TODDLER OLYMPICS 2012

I have been trying to get my head around how I can celebrate the Olympics this summer with my little ones. They are so young that lots of the things I have found on line, are just not suitable for them.  Little" R" is the oldest of the little ones, at 21 months.


After some brainstorming and finger crossing I put together a few activities to try out this morning with Little "R". The others are away for a few days, so it was just me and her.

We started the day by making our own Olympic torch. The official one started on it's journey last week and I hope to be able to log in online and show the children some of the footage as it travels towards London!

We used an old cereal box and hot glue gun to roll up a funnel shape and then took it outside to spray it with Gold spray paint.
Once it was dry we put glue in an old yogurt pot and then Little "R" pushed in some red shredded paper.
We dropped the pot inside the funnel and then jogged around the house pretending we were one of the torch relay people!




After we had completed our torch relay we held a Toddler Olympics! I thought it would be fun to set up a little obstacle course and to see how Little "R" moved through it. I walked her through a couple of times and before long she knew the route and could do it all herself. She LOVED it. So much giggling and excitement!























We also did some print painting with cardboard tubes from the junk box. I poured paint on to different paper plates, one for each colour of the Olympic rings and showed Little "R" how to make prints with them. She really got in to this activity and spent a long time making picture after picture. We kept going until all the paint was used up! I used the colour names as we printed with it and also used the words "circles" and "rings".




Once the paint had run out we went outside to restock the bird feeders and give the chickens and rabbit some corn!

While we were out there we played with our chalks. Little "R" was very keen for me to draw on the patio but not so keen to do it her self. She did make some marks but I think I will leave the chalks out this week and let her build confidence with them and hopefully by the end of the week she will be making little master pieces all over the garden!

























I would love to hear about any ideas you have, on introducing the Olympics to such small children! I am hoping to put together a few posts on activities designed for toddlers, to celebrate the Jubilee and the Olympics this summer so please keep popping back!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts and see who is reading my little blog. Pop up a post and I will always swing by and visit your blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails