Saturday, 9 February 2013

CHINESE NEW YEAR 2013 PART 1

This week we have looked at cChinese New Year. This is one of my favourite festivals to do with the children. I did want it to only be covered this past week as we have Valentines day and Pancake day next week, but unfortunately the art supplies did not arrive in time so we will be doing the art activities next week. This will actually work out quite well as it is half term and the older children will enjoy joining in.

I set up the table with a Chinese themed meal. I would really like to get a nice wooden set but they are very pricey. We are making do with bits and bobs that I have managed to gather over the years. The children seem to enjoy them very much.


The children spent hours playing with this and I think they really liked seeing some different things in the home corner. Little "r" spent a lot of time wearing the slippers and also tying on the dragon costume. Sadly I do not have a Chinese Dragon costume so we had to improvise with our normal dragon! 



She worked really hard on her self dressing skills and only needed a little help with the more tricky parts of getting in to the costume. 


We worked on transferring large pom poms with chop sticks, in a sorting dish. Both Little "R" and "L" enjoyed this activity and seemed to find it quite easy. I thought I might offer this again next week but use some smaller pom poms this time.



I cooked a Chinese meal for everyone. We enjoyed prawn crackers, sweet and sour chicken, egg noodles, egg fried rice, prawn toast, spring rolls and chicken won tons. we also had Lychee juice to drink and Lychees for pudding.




I was very lucky to have my friend over that afternoon. She is an Early years teacher and while I dished up food, she talked with the children about Chinese new year, the food and other very interesting things!
I did offer chop sticks to the children but unfortunately I forgot to take photos of them using them. They really did give them a good go.


Today's play, meets the following EYFS Prime and specific areas
  • Physical development
  • Personal, social and emotional
  • Communication and Language
  • Understanding the world


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts and see who is reading my little blog. Pop up a post and I will always swing by and visit your blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails