Tuesday, 14 May 2013

SENSORY PLAY FOR BABIES

Today I set up a small sensory play are for little "T". I am not allowed to include him in any photos so sadly I can not show you how happy he was playing with this but I hope it will give you some ideas.

Little "T" Has Downs syndrome and after a conversation with his mum, I decided to gather some bits and make a sensory play activity for his next visit. His mum and I were talking about the importance of a stimulating environment for him and how this helps to build neural pathways in the brain. Neither of us were really sure what a "Stimulating environment" really meant or what we should be offering him.

This got me thinking  and I came up with this little set up.......


 He spent a long time feeling the thermal space blanket with his fingers. Listening to it crinkle! The light from the ceiling lamp above sparkled on the silver and as he moved the blanket, the lights moved and sparkled.

I popped to town at the weekend and picked up some different sized brushes. I also chose ones that felt different to each other, some were soft and some a bit more rough. I also bought a large rattan ball from the pet department. These were all very cheap in Wilkinsons. I also had a few items already at home, like the mirrors and the items in the picture bellow.



Little "T" spent a long time rolling around and reaching for different items, exploring the sounds and feel of each item. He particularly liked the  brushes and the purple tumble dried ball.  When things rolled away from him he reached  and wriggled to catch it again. When he started to get bored, I lay down on the blanket with him and he cuddled my arm. I lay on my back and lifted him over me and he started to giggle. He stood on the blanket with me holding him and moved his feet to make a sound. He babbled and chattered away as we played.

I have ordered some flashy light items to add to this for next week. I am looking forward to seeing how he enjoys these new additions.



Today's play, meets the following EYFS Prime and specific areas
  • Communication and Language
  • Personal, Social and Emotional
  • Understanding of the World
  • Physical Development


1 comment:

  1. I really like your ideas for infant play here. We are having fun exploring light in our infant room so I it would be fun to add in a thermal blanket!
    Check out my blog at: http://andthecarrotcameup.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts and see who is reading my little blog. Pop up a post and I will always swing by and visit your blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails