Shelley is the founder of Little Signers Club, a leading UK baby and toddler signing company that has a reputation for providing expertly taught, quality, British Sign Language based signing classes and training throughout the country.
Little Signers Club uniquely focuses on how signing compliments communication development, enhances responsive interactions between small children and carers as well as increase spoken ability, impacting on self esteem and confidence.
Using signing with children enhances the caregiver role enormously. It means that as a caregiver, you are always able to be responsive, respectful and meet a child’s most immediate needs. Children in your care can be confident that they will have their needs attended to and by being reassured of this, over and over again, it allows children to concentrate on higher level learning, facilitating exploration of their world. Over time, signing allows a child to share their thoughts and interests, much sooner - sometimes many months before - a child would be able to verbalise what was on their mind. In addition, the use of ‘baby’ signing supports emerging speech and helps carers and parents to distinguish between unclear words.
The benefits of signing do not end when speech begins. As babies become toddlers, there is even more need for signing as frustration really manifests itself at this difficult transition age; signing is particularly beneficial from 12 months onwards as it's been suggested that up to 90% of toddler tantrums are linked to a need to eat, drink, sleep or receive comfort. These are very easy signs to implement and use at this critical age, restoring calm for everyone and enhancing bonding.
Get started with simple signing for your setting today!
1. Download your FREE baby signing e-book at www.littlesignersclub.co.uk/baby-signing-ebook.htm
2. Don’t overwhelm yourself with signing lots when you start! Begin with a few simple signs that are relevant to you, the children you care for and your setting and do them regularly. It’s easier to remember and concentrate on 6 or 10 rather than dozens of signs. Start with the signs in the free e-book as they meet basic needs.
3. SAY the word as you sign it
4. SIGN so that you are in a child’s line of vision
5. REPEAT lots and lots!
6. Join us over at Facebook (www.facebook.com/littlesignersclub )for seasonal / topical signs and videos
7. If you would like to know more, Little Signers Club provides children’s classes for groups of Early Years professionals and Twilight Training opportunities too. Email email@example.com for more information.
"Who wouldn't want their child to be the first amongst their peers to be communicating, to be the most chilled out, to be happier, to have a real head-start?" Ben, baby signing Daddy to Fin
You can find out more at