Tuesday, 19 November 2013

HOW I DO MY PLANNING TO MEET THE EYFS

After several requests on the Facebook page for my planning sheet to be shared and questions regarding my planning process, I thought it might be helpful to write up a post about how I do my planning.

I want to state that this is just how I do my planning and although I received an Outstanding grade at my last inspection (nearly 3 years ago) I am not saying that this is how it "Should" be done. It is just an option and something that has grown over time and works for me.

Every September I sit down and do my Long term plans. This took me quite a while to get my head around. I didn't think it was possible to plan long term as I did not know what the children's interests would be or what aged children I would have each month. After a chat with my Development worker, she explained that I could just think about celebrations, children's Birthdays and other important dates that I knew were coming up, like a house move, new baby being born or school starting.
This really helped and I put together a monthly plan of Celebrations we enjoy, children's special dates and I also included seasons. I try to focus a lot of our learning around the seasons and the changes they bring throughout the year.

This is how I set out my long term plan. It is about 3 pages long. I laminate it and display it on the wall for parents to see a guide of how our year might look.



In some ways this is also a medium term plan as it has more detail than most Long term plans. Every now and then though I like to have a brain storm over a particular theme and make a medium term plan. This is usually something I do when I want to cover a topic that can go on for a few weeks. For example Christmas or the Seaside. I usually make a spider chart of this and pop activities and experiences in to the areas of learning. I am not necessarily going to do all of these things but it is just a collection of ideas that I might like to try. If you have children who are old enough then you could involve them in this process. They can come up with some fabby ideas that we would never thinks of!

The last process in my planning is my weekly planning. This is mainly focused on the season and activities and experiences that link to that. Like Foraging for fruit in the Autumn to make a crumble, collecting Autumn treasures. The nice thing about using seasons is that the changes are so clear to see. The same tree will look different at different times of the year. we will see it bare in the winter but then spring comes and new leaves and Blossom appear. The tree becomes full and green in the summer. We sit under it for shade when having our picnics! By Autumn we collect its beautiful coloured leaves as they fall and gather any fruit it might give us. It is a wonderful way for children to see the yearly cycle that our world goes through.
 I also use this plan to work on individual children's next steps and personal interests. So for example I have for the last month or so had "Potty training" on the plans and initialled the children who this relates to. I always have "singing and signing" on the plans as I often have at least one small child that is not yet verbal and the singing and signing is a huge benefit to all young children. These things will be on the plans for a long time and I will add in crafts, small world, role play and sensory play that will cover a child's interest or linked to something that might be happening that week.
 I use the children's routines to show I am thinking about their needs. Self feeding, toileting, getting dressed, naps. All these can be added to your plans under the relevant Prime and specific areas of the EYFS.


If you look at this plan you can see at the top of the page I have included the season and an area of focus. This week it is "Road safety". All of the usual daily routines are on there in black. The areas we are working on or have been working on for a few weeks and that are ongoing are also in black. The Topic related activities and experiences are in a different colour. Here it is brown. I also add "New Language" that children will be hearing, that relates to this topic and where ever possible I use the signing for these key words as well. I also like to think about stories we could read or books that I could pop out on a shelf to support this. I print this out and then as the week goes on I add interests that the children have or self selected toy choices and write these on to the plan in red pen. These are the child initiated parts of my planning that I will think about including or extending in the next weeks plans.


 At the end of the week I write a small paragraph on the back of the plan to note each child's interests, reactions to adult planned activities, self selected choices, mood, personal issues that need noting, behaviour  and the like. This is never displayed so confidentiality is kept. It is for my own use and reference.


 I then use the things written in red pen and the individual evaluations plus other observations I have made over the week to plan the following weeks play. This means that I am incorporating adult initiated/ led and child initiated/ led activities throughout each week and thinking abut each child s individual needs.

For example you will notice that I marked in red pen an emerging Trajectory schema in the plans above, I also thought about extending and building on that in the notes made on the back of this weeks planning and then next week I have added "Rolling items that can be chased" in Physical Development with his initial next to it.


I would like to note that the days of the week are there for me to note set things we might have planned for that day. Like the Playbus and Toddlers marked on the above plan. But the plans run across the whole week as I feel children enjoy revisiting activities and it helps to cement their learning.

Any questions please do ask and I will do my best to help.





 Download Templates HERE! Post by Worms Eye View.

41 comments:

  1. Anita's childminding19 November 2013 at 15:09

    Very helpful. This is similar to what I did when I worked in s nursery and I do similar now. The thing I might change in is the long term plan. Your one has inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic
    Thank you so much for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You Pip I do something very similar so it is reassuring to know that I'm on the right track, the only thing I don't do is the long term plan because, like you used to feel I felt that I couldn't predict what a child's interests/development might be like in a years' time, however you have explained it so clearly I feel more confident in giving it a go xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you have a blank copy to share ,messing around with my planning looking for a simple way of recording evidence that just needs highlighting and small amounts of write ups for it thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. If any of you would like a blank copy of the forms then please email me using my email address on the Childminding service tab at the top of this page and I will be happy to send them over XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please could I have blank copies of your planning sheets please? I am new to Childminding so still trying to work out what works for me but these look fantastic :-) Kerry_forbes@hotmail.co.uk Thank you so much in advance :-) xx

      Delete
  6. Hello, I'm very impressed, would you mind and me blank copies please to bunneez@hotmail.com. Many thanks :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Zoe. on its way xx

      Delete
    2. Love your plans ... just having an overhaul and Im doing it your way :o) ... Would you mind sending me blanks as well? Very much appriciated x Nic x cabbagepatchchildcare@hotmail.com

      Delete
    3. i would love a copy of these, they are amazing. a-capon@sky.com x

      Delete
    4. if you click on the folder at the bottom of the post you will be able to download them. thanks for visiting!

      Delete
    5. Love the way you do your planning, would it be possible to have a blank copy. kimturner@tinyworld.co.uk
      Many thanks

      Delete
    6. hi could you please email me a copy of the blank and the filled in versions. Thanks. sally34cr@hotmail.co.uk

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing - I'm continously struggling to streamline my planning process and yours is great. Please could you send me blank forms to: mail@sarahkellychildcare.co.uk
    Thanks again, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you can download them here or using the file at the bottom of this blog post.
      https://www.facebook.com/wormseyeviewblog

      Delete
  8. Hi thanks for sharing your planning ideas they are great and the resources are so helpful please could you send me your planning blank forms to bex@spwatson.com thank you Becky

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow great, please can you send me the template?? louise@littlehedz.co.uk I start childminding in January....scary :) Thanks Louise

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi , can you send me some templates, its brill loved reading all this,
    emmajane500@aol.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Pip
    Fantastic, I hate planning and yours looks so simple. Would you mind very much sending me your blanks please.
    Thank you Sarah
    sarah.hale2@ntlworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pip,
    Silly qs for you... Do you have individual planning sheets for each child as well for their learning journals, or just this one. Do you put a copy up for parents to see?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi PIP, could i also please have a copy of your planning.....Thankyou so much! x
    mstewart1971@hotmail.co.uk :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I wonder if you are still happy to send out copies of these forms, I can't see a link at the bottom or on your wonderful facebook page, if you can, please could I have copies, thanks, deb debbie.glenister@btinternet.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI pip love your work.
    Your page has helped me out loads.
    could u send out copies of these forms plz
    amybremner86@sky.com.
    many thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for these, new childminder looking for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have really been struggling with this area please could you send me any copies of any planning sheets as have ofsted visit coming up and now I can get it right my email julie.ellis23@virginmedia.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for this, I am a new childminder and was struggling with this but now i have a new direction to go in. thank you soo much

    ReplyDelete
  19. fab thanks so much , on track now x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would greatly appreciate any planning documents or templates available as trying to get my head around all the paperwork needed for childminding :/ kind regards chockiechops@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Pip
    Could you email me blank copies of your planning sheets please? They are brilliant!!!!!
    Thanks fiveat50@hotmail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Pip
    Could you email me blank copies of your planning sheets please? They are brilliant!!!!!

    Many thanks
    janemannion1@hotmail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Pip
    Could you email me blank copies of your planning sheets please? I would reall appreciate.
    Many thanks
    just_wylde@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi all. All my planning is available for free in my facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/185459191647083/
      You can click join and i will add you. You can then go to files and download the templates or paperwork. I also have everything for sale here if that is easier for you. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Worms-Eye-View XX

      Delete
  24. Hi Pip what an awesome site !!!!! Do you have a template of a yearly planner at all please...thx Toni :)
    toni@rudyj3.orangehome.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi all. All my planning is available for free in my facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/185459191647083/
      You can click join and i will add you. You can then go to files and download the templates or paperwork. I also have everything for sale here if that is easier for you. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Worms-Eye-View XX

      Delete
  25. Hi all. All my planning is available for free in my facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/185459191647083/
    You can click join and i will add you. You can then go to files and download the templates or paperwork. I also have everything for sale here if that is easier for you. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Worms-Eye-View XX

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have just discovered your page - it is fantastic - I have been managing a nursery for the last 3 months and this planning has just given me a light at the end of the tunnel - I was beginning to despair thank you so much keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Could you please send me yr templates pls. I can't open the link. Your planning is so easy and straight forward.rmohtat@msn.com
    Thankyou

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts and see who is reading my little blog. Pop up a post and I will always swing by and visit your blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails