Thursday, 20 February 2014

MAKING BIRDS WITH PLAYDOUGH........ OR MAYBE NOT!

This week I put out a selection of playdough, bird extras from a playdough kit, googly eyes, playdough tools and a box of feathers. I asked the children if they would like to make me some birds!


Everyone was keen to come to the table and play especially the older children who were enjoying half term!
No one wanted to make me a bird though. I talked about the bright birds you find in jungles and how these look different to the garden birds we have here. But no one was very interested.
Little "R" talked about the colours and told me she was making sausages as she rolled her dough in to long sausage shapes. "S" told me she was going to make a picnic and worked with "A" to do this. They made peas, an orange, blueberries, raspberries and cherries.

Little "L" was the youngest in the setting today and she enjoyed working with the older girls. She added the bird feet to her model and some eyes but told me it was not a bird. She declined to add any feathers.

After everyone else had left, Kenzie came to the table and told me he would make me a bird. He looked at all the pieces available to him and then created me this!  Still not a feather in sight but I did get a bird!


Very cute he is too!


This is the finished picnic that the older girls made.


We also made things from coloured Air dry clay so that they could all take a piece of art work home with them to keep.


LEARNING INTENTIONS AND IDEAS FOR EXPANDING LEARNING:
  • To design and mould our own birds for nest box week.
  • To talk about the colours we want to use, the size and shape of our birds.
  • To explore different birds and how they look. Jungle birds colours compared to  garden birds for example.
  • Using different materials to create our birds.

In future I will offer more play like this but with a selection of materials and no set outcome of what to make. I will see how the children choose to use the materials and take notes of interests that might show through this play.


CHARACTERISTICS OF EFFECTIVE LEARNING:
Little "R" was very keen to work with the older children. She wanted to share her creations with them and her ideas. She was very clear about what she wanted to make and made her own choices of materials and colour to do this. She was motivated for a short time but the lure of "Being a big girl" was stronger and she quickly left the activity once the older children had finished. 


Today's play, meets the following EYFS Prime and specific areas
  • Communication and Language
  • Physical Development
  • Understanding the world
  • Expressive Arts and Design

2 comments:

  1. This happens to me a lot and I love it- yesterday we (or rather I) were focusing on Wales and St Davids Day, and we made sheep, then little E said she wanted to make a "moo moo", then they both wanted to make birds!! Bless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe i should have started with sheep and then i might have got the birds I wanted lol

      Delete

Love to hear your thoughts and see who is reading my little blog. Pop up a post and I will always swing by and visit your blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails