Monday, 13 July 2015

"J" ENJOYING MATHS AS HE PLAYS.


Little "J" loves cars and will play with them at every opportunity. I have to take full advantage of this interest and try and draw it in to other areas of learning. I have to observe closely to see how his interest and play is actually helping him to learn all of the things I can sometimes find hard to measure when checking his progress against the Early years outcomes.

Today was just one of those days.
While he sat checking out the buses in the box and sorting out all the cars. I saw a lot of mathematical thinking and language happening.
 He told me he had a red bus. Then 2 red buses.
 Then he had a little bus and a big bus.
 This one is bigger look! This one is smaller.
Then he looked to see if he could find another bus and if it was the same size as any of the buses he already had.
Look how many windows this bus has.... 10 windows, We counted them together. Both buses had 10 windows. That is the same!

Today's play, meets the following EYFS Prime and specific areas:
  • Communication and language
  • Understanding The World
  • Mathematics 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts and see who is reading my little blog. Pop up a post and I will always swing by and visit your blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails