Thursday, 1 October 2015

AUTUMN DISCOVERY TRAY AND CONKER FUN!

I set up an Autumn discovery tray with the leaves and conkers that we collected on our nature walk the other day. I made sure that I collected some unopened conkers so that children who were not with us on the walk could experience the joy of opening the pods and finding conkers!
"B" was one of those children and she was really interested in opening them up and seeing how many conkers she could find in a pod and also how big or small they might be!



We talked about the Spiky outer shell, the soft white lining of the shell and the shiny hard conkers inside!
"B" collected her conkers in to a wooden bowl and then brought them to me so we could count them. She finds it hard to count to 10 and we are trying to find opportunities to count in all areas of play.




She told me that Wombat needed some for his dinner.  I said I was not sure if wombats like to eat conkers and would she like me to read her a story about Wombats?
Bothe "B" and "M" thought this was great and so I read them "The diary of a wombat". They each held a wombat teddy while they listened.


After the story, "M" decided that wombats prefer carrots!


NEXT STEPS: 
    • Count items of interest with "B" daily.
    • Look at internet videos of real wombats in the wild.

    CHARACTERISTICS OF EFFECTIVE LEARNING:

    Playing and exploring – engagement Finding out and exploring, Playing with what they know, Being willing to ‘have a go’
    Active learning – motivation Being involved and concentrating
    Creating and thinking critically – thinking Having their own ideas, Making links, Choosing ways to do things

    Today's play, meets the following EYFS Prime and specific areas:
    • Communication and Language
    • Literacy
    • Mathematics 
    • Understanding the world

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Love to hear your thoughts and see who is reading my little blog. Pop up a post and I will always swing by and visit your blog.

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails