Monday, 7 March 2016

ST PATRICK'S DAY 1-5 COUNTING

I am currently working with children who have just turned 3 years of age. Although most of them can count to 10, I wanted to focus on counting items individually and number recognition to 5.

With St Patrick's Day just around the corner I thought I would create some themed activities to encourage this. I have started with a simple number line. I added a numeral to each space and also Shamrocks in the same pattern as we see on dice.

 This reinforces children's understanding of

  •  Cardinality - That this represents how many of something there is. 
  •  Subitising - Instantly recognising the quantity without having to count.


By placing an item on each space, the children can count the items. I added 5 of each item for the purpose of this activity. The children can see that although each group of items looks different, there is in fact the same number of each. 

  • Conservation of number - Knowing that the quantity is the same however the items are arranged and grouped.


NEXT STEPS:
  • Place different items on the number line and add them together. Use the counting on method so that children can see that they do not need to start at 1 each time.
  • Use 2 different items on the number line to look at number bonds to 5.

Today's play, meets the following EYFS Prime and specific areas:
  • Communication and Language
  • Mathematics 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts and see who is reading my little blog. Pop up a post and I will always swing by and visit your blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails