Wednesday, 19 October 2016

I AM MAKING THINGS WITH HEADS!

"I am making things with heads! I have 2 heads!"

That is what I was told and that is what she made!


Little "E" has the concept of recognising a quantity at a glance. This is an important mathematical concept to understand. You don't want to be counting everything all the time. You want to recognise a quantity by sight. Making an estimate for larger groups and recognising small quantities with just a glance. One fun way to help children with this is to use dice. Very quickly we have all learnt to recognise the spots on a dice with just one look. The way the spots are positioned is a very important part of this but also we learn to see a quantity and know its value through repetition of this experience.

It is a good skill to observe and practice of with the children in your care!

Today's play, meets the following EYFS Prime and specific areas:
  • Communication and Language
  • Physical Development
  • Mathematical 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts and see who is reading my little blog. Pop up a post and I will always swing by and visit your blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails