I hope to give you and your children some fun and helpful ideas to support your child in preparing to start school in my blog series "STARTING SCHOOL MADE EASY"
In this 6th part we are focusing on how we can support your child's understanding of the world around them!
- Set up a "School" role play area. Offer paper and pens, small table and chairs, books, a chalk board, chalks, teddies to become the students. Your child/ children can take turns being the student or the teacher. Get involved yourself. Kids love a good excuse to teach us grown ups something!
- Look at books about starting school together.
- Talk about their visit days with them and ask about the routines they took part in.
- Talk about your family. What do their siblings or cousins do at school?
- Create a family tree to see where they are in their world.
- Draw a picture of your home together. Colour the door the same as yours. Write the number on the front door.
- Walk around the community. Maybe past school so that they become familiar with the route. Talk about the roles that different people you see, have. Police officers, lolly pop crossing staff, teachers. How do they help us?